CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Brett's Facial

- A heart-warming story about a contemporary man and his small pores




So rather than be embarrassed about it... I might as well post it for the world to see, exposing a new, delicate, yet oh-so-masculine side of me and just own it. Yes, it is true... Mr. Maylett got a facial treatment in June. It's not like I paid for it though!

For a work related event I had to go to Los Carneros Resort Spa in Napa Valley, California (poor me) for three days. The company that hosted the event set us up with several activities including golf, mountain biking, swimming, massage etc. However, one day they gave us the choice of either going on a wine-tasting tour or getting a facial treatment. Most of the people there were really excited about the wine-tasting, so they went a wine bibbin'. Being the sober Mormon that I am, I hesitantly opted for the facial.

So I showed up at the spa 15 minutes early as instructed, and the lady at the desk told me go into the locker room, shower, sit in the steam room for 15 minutes, get a bath robe on and meet the facial therapist (is that what they are called?) in the lobby. My question to the receptionist is... "Why does one need to be in the buff for a facial?" The whole thing sounded kind of fishy to me, but I did it anyway after she assured me that I would be covered with blankets.

So after I sat in the lobby in my robe for about five minutes with all of the other ladies (they only had Cosmo and Self magazines) the face lady came in and took me back to the face room where I listened to some New Age Peruvian music and got into the massage bed thingie until she came in. First she steamed my face and picked all of my zits, which is always a treat. Then she rubbed some stuff that felt like sandpaper and smelled like lemons into my face. Then she began massaging my face in a manner most pleasant while we talked about everything from Oprah to natural gas. I kind of tuned out the face lady after she started saying something about free radicals in my skin and how some miraculous new lotion had beads filled with Vitamin C in it. She complimented my skin (I think that telling someone that they have fine, small pores is a compliment, right?) and my skin thanked her. She also told me to make sure that I always put sunscreen on my temples and the top of my head, which I took as "You are going bald". Then I got the hair yanked off of my back (that helped explain the previously mentioned excessive exposure) with some sticky crap and some fly paper. It took everything that I had not to spew out a stream of obscenities at the face lady. The whole thing took about an hour and a half.

Of course, I would never pay for a facial, but overall, it was a gratifying experience. I didn't have any wrinkles in my face for about three days and the best part was when I went back into the locker room and a man said "Oh my gosh look at you! Your face is like... GLOWING!" I waited until he left the locker room to change back into my clothes. I felt creepy doing it with that dude around .

The Napa Valley trip was actually very relaxing. Along with the facial, I got in a little golf, some swimming and some mountain biking. I also now know more about wine than most people that I know even though I couldn't really tell you what it tastes like.

Next month I may watch Divine Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants so stay tuned for that!


11 comments:

R Clan said...

SpOiLeD! What does Candace get??

You are so funny. You had us crackin'. So did you learn anything uplifting in Cosmo or the Self magazines? I'm glad that you have been able to broaden your horizons.

Sara said...

It has been quite a while since I checked in at your blog, but I am glad to have popped over just in time to catch this post! (Hee hee! :) Gave me a good chuckle!)
...Full of all the Maylett-humor I remember so well and love from the good old days of our long-time friendship!

So glad you were able to "pamper" yourself (I am sure you deserve it! Every hard-working Daddy does!) and even more pleased to see you are willing to share your story with the world! Way to go!

Tell Candace (and your cute kiddies!) "Hello" and give them all a squeeze for me! :)

Jessup Jive said...

That is very manly, next time maybe Lance will join you!!

Jodie said...

You are SO awesome! I need to let Matt know of this fine, manly experience!:)

joey said...

Candace and I are totally going to have to go get some pampering while you and Richard take the kids to McDonald's or ChickfilA or Carters, or something!

Lynette said...

Hi Maylett Family I found your Blog from my neice Sara Staker. My mom married a Maylett and I hardley ever see that name so I was so surprised to see it again. she was married to Ellis Maylett Alias "Buck" Do you have any connections to him? He is from Manti UT. I would love to know please write me back if you do.
lynettesouthwick@yahoo.com
Thanks

Dan and Melissa said...

That's so funny... I'm glad you were able to admit that you enjoyed it. C'mon now you know why us girls love being pampered. Now you're hooked and soon you'll be having pedicures with Candace! (I'm still trying to convince Dan that it's the new RAVE and all the guys are doing it;)

The Taggarts said...

Brett, you are hilarious! Candace, it's time for a girls weekend, don't you think? Your kids are so cute. Hope all is well with you guys.

Debt Guy Jr. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Geoffrey said...

Nice...I think that the "glowing" was a come on, smart to wait till he left to change. yikes!!

Lisa said...

That is the funniest thing I have ever read!